Monday, September 8, 2008

Parties and Politics, Oh My!

Well, as usual, my resolve to post more frequently lasted exactly one week! Yaaay. Last week was pretty hectic, though. We had Supergirl's birthday party on Sunday, so I spent most of last week preparing for that. She will be 6 this Saturday. We had the party a week early because some out-of-town friends were visiting. It was a great party, we grilled steaks and chicken kebabs for the adults and hot dogs for the kids. And of course there was cake and homemade ice cream for dessert. The only problem was the weather. We always have the party on my in-law's porch, and yesterday was the hottest day in about a month. We were all hot and some of the kids complained. So we moved inside to eat cake and ice cream, then hung out in their living room and kitchen from then on.

Also, I stayed up late last Wednesday night to hear Sarah Palin's speech at the RNC. Before anyone jumps to conclusions, I have not decided who I will vote for in this election. But I wanted to hear Palin speak for herself, before all the pundits and talking heads got hold of her speech. I liked her, and I very much like the idea of a female vice president. I was very disappointed that Obama did not ask Hillary Clinton to be his running mate. That would have swayed me a great deal, I think. There are lots of things that I disagree with McCain and Palin about, but there are also lots of things that I disagree with Obama about. I'm a registered Independent, and I always will be. I've voted for Democrats and I've voted for Republicans. The few short months that I worked in politics, I worked for a Democrat. The party affiliation had nothing to do with my decision to leave that job. (The soul-sucking mean-spiritedness of my co-workers did, on the other hand.) And I never, ever voted for Bush. Not even the first time. I have to say, though, that the Republicans have a secret weapon - Piper Palin. She's the youngest daughter in the Palin family. At one point during Palin's speech, the camera focused on Piper holding her little brother and she proceeded to lick her hand and smooth down his hair. I just about fell off the couch laughing. That is totally something Supergirl would do on national television - lick her hand and smooth down Wildman's hair. That's class, y'all.

4 comments:

Pickles and Dimes said...

I've voted both Democrat and Republican, and I know which way I'm swaying this time, but I want to hear the debates and read up more on the candidates' stands on the issues, and then decide from there.

That said, I really don't like how some people are denouncing those who are Republican.

This will be an interesting election, that's for sure. Politics swing in a cyclical fashion, from people wanting public purpose (e.g., government action) to then wanting private interest (no government interference). No matter who wins, in 5, 10 or however many years, public opinion will shift and dissatisfaction with world affairs will send everyone to the other side.

d e v a n said...

hehe. I died laughing when she did that. Though McCain won't get my vote, I did enjoy watching her kids during the RNC.

Shelly said...

Shauna, I totally agree. I'll be watching the debates with interest and then making up my own mind.

I agree. But politics have become very polarizing in the last 10 years. You're right - it is very cyclical and I'm sure that the party in power right now won't be in power forever.

Thanks so much for your nice comment - I was really worried about posting that!

Shelly said...

Devan - she does have some cute kids. I watched Piper throughout the coverage that night and several things she did made me laugh. Can I vote for her instead of her mom/ McCain?