So! *brisk clap* The Oscars were last night and yes, I stayed up and watched them all. I LOVE the Oscars. I love movies and I love acting and I love actors and actresses, so awards for acting? Hello! I'm there! Favorite moments:
- In the Barbara Walters interview beforehand, Mickey Rourke offered his take on winning the Oscar: "Let's face it, you can't eat it, you can't fuck it, and it won't get me into Heaven."
- Also in the Barbara Walters interview, Hugh Jackman told the sweetest story about his dad. When Hugh was just starting out, he was invited to sing at Carnegie Hall. His dad was flying from Australia to NY and back the next day. Hugh told his dad that the event was black tie. The day of, he finds out that it isn't black tie, calls his dad back and tells him and his dad says okay. Dad arrives to pick Hugh up, and he's dressed in black tie. Hugh reminds him that it really isn't black tie, and his dad looks at him and says, "My son is singing at Carnegie Hall. For me, it IS black tie." While he performed, he could see his dad out in the audience, leaning forward in his seat, tears streaming down his face.
- Hugh Jackman as host. He really has that Old Hollywood, song and dance man appeal.
- Heath Ledger's win. And his family's acceptance speeches. And the fact that every person the camera focused on had tears in his or her eyes.
- Kate Winslet's win. I LOVE Kate Winslet and she has deserved an Oscar many, many times over. Her father whistling so she could find him in the audience was beautiful. So sweet.
- Loved having five previous winners present the acting awards. Such nice little touches in their speeches introducing each nominee. I do wish they had played clips of each performance like they used to, though. Some of us haven't seen all of these movies (or any of these movies, as the case may be).
- Yes, the Oscars are hella long. But instead of griping and trying to cut stuff each year, why don't they just move them to Saturday night instead of Sunday night? That way, everyone on the East Coast won't have to get up and go to work the next morning. Surely the stars wouldn't mind having an extra day to party it up.
- Um, apparently, that Slumdog Millionaire movie is pretty good, huh?
In addition, Supergirl LOVED watching the Oscars, so now I have a buddy to share them with! How cool is having kids?!