This cool meme-type thing is making it's way around the blogosphere. I saw it first at I Got Two, Babe. She gave credit to Swistle, as we all do, who gave credit to three other folks. Swistle's explanation was, "What you do is, you make a list of things you haven't said to people in your life. Each one should be directed at someone in particular. You don't say who you're saying each thing to, and you don't give a ton of backstory---you just say it." Being a person with some unresolved issues and the itching desire to tell some people off coupled with the Southern trait of being too polite to say what I'm actually thinking most of the time, I *love* these things!
1. I think you were a little confused when I stopped talking to you. I hope you've figured it out by now. Yes, the little rip-off your husband pulled with my car had a lot to do with it. But the biggest part was that the more I got to know you, the less I liked you. That's the biggest reason I wanted to stop riding with you to our "Girl's Weekends" - you used the drive home as a confessional! "Why don't I feel richer than So-and-so? I know I make more money than her!" Here's a tip, genius - if your husband wasn't blowing half your money on p-o-t, you just might feel a little richer.
2. I still love you. I'm really sad that you're mentally ill and that we can't be close. I still really want the kind of relationship that other people have.
3. I don't hate you. I don't actually wish you any harm, or harbor any ill will toward you. I think you are a little dysfunctional and I can't be your friend for a lot of different reasons. But I do hope that you someday find happiness. Whatever the definition of that is for you.
4. I still miss you. I'm sorry that your life was so difficult. I know that part of that was brought on by your choice of husband. I'm sorry I added to the difficulty at the end of your life. I'll always feel a little guilty for your second stroke. I really hope it wasn't my fault.
5. You backstabbed me and prevented me from getting a reward. Well, I hope you enjoy it. Enjoy your reward and the fact that you got a reward and I didn't. Because you fucked yourself twice as hard as I ever could have if I had tried to get back at you. Your boss knows what you did and thinks you're a petty little shit for doing it. And thinks I'm a class act for handling it graciously. He's right on both counts. You showed him your true character and mine with what you did, so thanks!
6. I don't think I can trust you. I thought I could initially, but looking back at some things, I think I may have been wrong. I'm going to be very cautious around you and see how things go.
7. It's now 7 years after you predicted that my relationship would fall apart and I'm more happily married than anyone else I know. I wish I knew where you were to rub it in your face.